Friday, September 6, 2013

Independence Pass

Independence Pass, Colorado Rockies
We decided on scenic route 82d across the mountains to Colorado Springs, and discovered along the way that it's known as Independence Pass. As we climbed steadily into the Rockies, the road got narrower and the precipice seemed steeper around every hairpin turn. Bob said it was the scariest road he had ever driven, and I (who often proclaim loudly that I love heights) began to feel a trifle queasy by the time we reached the Continental Divide.

Continental Divide
The drive seemed to go on forever. I opened the window so that I could take pictures with my head hanging out of the window, like a crazy dog. Our highest altitude was over 11,000 feet -- not the 14,000+ feet of Pike's Peak, of course, but plenty high.


Twin Lakes, Colorado
We stopped for gas in Buena Vista, where a young deer ran across the highway to a city park, and continued toward Colorado Springs. We turned north on I25 right away and eventually (thanks to the GPS) made our way to Hwy 76 and, eventually, I80. The GPS guided us beautifully past the Denver airport, on I225, through the heavy noon traffic.
We left the Rockies behind and were soon heading toward Nebraska. I knew we were almost home when I looked out the window of our freshly redecorated room at the Hampton Inn in North Platte and saw golden farmland.



North Platte, Nebraska